My Blog List

Hero Gurkha gets top gong

A GURKHA who fought off 30 Taliban on his own even after his ammunition ran out yesterday received a top bravery medal from the Queen.

Corporal Dipprasad Pun, 31, who got the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross, came under attack at a Helmand checkpoint.
Cpl Pun - spurred on by the belief he would die at their hands - fired more than 400 rounds, launched 17 grenades and detonated a mine to thwart the insurgents.
When that was exhausted, he used the tripod of his machine gun to beat a militant.
Cpl Pun held off the enemy for 15 minutes until back-up arrived - saving three comrades by his actions. He said: "I thought I was definitely going to die so I thought I'd kill as many of them as I could first."
Cpl Pun, of the 1st Battalion the Royal Gurkha Rifles, received his medal at Buckingham Palace. The soldier, of Ashford, Kent, said: "This will be a great memory."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

dg3