My Blog List

Spiced Raw Banana Fry/ Plaintain Curry

I had this post languishing in my drafts for a long time now and so I thought it was a good idea to post it before I loose track of it. I love all types of vegetables, but there are some that I love even more eg, cabbage and raw banana/plantain.

I learnt this recipe from my MIL, she prepared the first time when I was expecting. I am not sure if it was the hormones or the raw banana, but I ended up eating ¾ of this all by myselfJ. This goes very well with yogurt rice and with some daal on the side. I swear I could live on the combination for years without complaining.

Ingredients

  • 2 medium raw (plantains)
  • Curry leaves
  • 1 Tbsp urad daal
  • Asafetida
  • Cumin seeds(jeera)
  • Mustard seeds
  • 2 tsp Turmeric
  • Coriander leaves for garnishing
  • Oil
  • salt

To make powder

  • 2-3 dried red chillies
  • 1 Tbsp coriander seeds
  • 1 Tbsp of raw dry tamarind (not paste)

Preparation:

  • Peel the raw banana and cut them into discs.
  • Dry roast the ingredients for dry masala and grind it to a fine powder. (If the tamarind is roasted, even that will turn into powder along with red chillies and coriander seeds).

Method:

  • Heat a heavy bottomed pan, and then add oil, jeera, mustard, curry leaves.
  • Add asafetida, then the urad daal and fry until it turns golden brown. Add the cut banana discs, salt and continue to fry.
  • Add the masala powder and sprinkle of water in between, and fry. Once in a while add oil also as it makes it crispy and tasty.
  • When it is done, it should be both cooked and crispy at the same time. Garnish with coriander leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

dg3