My Blog List

Pumpkin Coconut Curry (Dudhi Ghashi)

Last week, we had a visit to the local Pumpkin Patch. Dear Son’s school had a trip there and we had a fun time with the other kids and the parents. The weather was good and the kids had a great time playing, exploring, and running around while the adults had a good change from the usual grind. While returning back we got to carry some pumpkins back home.

I am a huge fan of pumpkins and could not wait to try out different things with that. I am not good at carving or baking so the next best thing was to cook something with it. I love the sweetish taste of pumpkin when cooked and when added to a spicy coconut curry makes a great combination in my opinion.

This curry called Dudhi Ghashi/ Pumpkin Curry is a Konkani speciality and a childhood favorite of mine. I used to relish this with rice after I got back from school/college. I remember that in the morning before leaving to school when my mother would tell me what she would be cooking for the day, just the name of this curry would brighten up and make my day. At the end of the day, I would look forward to going back home and indulging it.

pumpkin_patch 048

This is my contribution to AFAM – October 2008 hosted by Madhuram of Eggless Cooking.

  • Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups of cubed pumpkin (kaddu in hindi)
  • Salt
  • Mustard seeds
  • Curry leaves
  • Turmeric a pinch
  • handful chopped coriander leaves (garnishing)
  • Oil

To make the coconut masala

  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1 Tbsp coriander seeds
  • 1 Tbsp tamarind paste
  • 3-4 red chillies
  • Jaggery for taste

Method:

  • Boil the pumpkin in sufficient amount of water separately either in the microwave or the stovetop. Make sure it is not overcooked, there should still be a crunch and bite to it.
  • Make the coconut masala, by grinding coconut along with red chillies, salt, tamarind, water and raw coriander seeds. The masala should be made into a very fine paste. Add more water if required.
  • In the meanwhile heat oil in a thick bottomed pan. Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
  • Add the coconut paste, turmeric and cook until the raw smell of coconut is gone. Check for taste and adjust the seasonings if required.
  • Add the boiled pumpkin and allow it to boil on medium flame.
  • Finally garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot with rice or rotis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

dg3